Monday, April 9, 2012

Too soon? Not for this deal!


Today I was wondering around Office Max again. I think I might have an office supply shopping problem! I went there to get label tape for my label maker, which I totally forgot about when I was distracted ..... they had new academic planners!! I loved my planner this year and thought that I should pick up a new one. I grabbed this beauty from the shelf and was SHOCKED at the $19.99 price tag. I was hoping my "magical" teacher card would help, but when I got to the counter the only thing it took off was the tax. Sadly I was going to put it back, we always get some kind of good coupon at the beginning of the school year that I could use, but Robert saved the day! Robert, the cashier, whipped out this $10 off coupon as long as I spent one more cent. I grabbed the nearest thing -- the pen -- which ended up being $1.99 (I probably could've bought a pack with that). Robert reassured me that it was "worth the buy" as he LOVED this pen (Papermate InkJoy), I went with it. And YES after several minutes of testing it does ROCK! Now back to the COUPON! I got a $20 planner for $10! The pen probably wasn't the best buy, but I was kinda in a hurry and there was someone in line behind me. I still feel it was a good deal.

 $22 for $12!



So with that I thought I might share how I use my planner not only for planning but also to keep all of my notes together from meetings, meetings, and more meetings. Sometimes I feel like I should own a large stock in Post-its! Year after year I start off using a spiral notebook to keep dates, meeting notes, and long term plans, and some how misplace it or lose track and start a new. This past year I consolidated all of that into one place. I found this necessary as I am forgetful and always referring back to some misplaced note. This has kept it all together for me.

First I have always ALWAYS loved the monthly planner, but have found the monthly/weekly to be best for implementing this compiled new system. As shown below, I still keep meeting dates, times, and lesson planning in the monthly section, as seeing the full month plan is important.




Then, in the weekly section I keep all of my meeting notes under the date which I attended that meeting. Saturday's and Sunday's in this section are great for multiple meeting days which notes then tend to overflow! Also, if I ever attend an impromptu meeting and borrow a post it "sticky," I can just stick it on to that particular day of the week. Everything is kept in one place!













This WORKS! Especially if you are like me, one who is organized and on top of things in my mind, but maybe needs a reference place to check back for memory purposes!



On a side note: I had one of those "Ah - HA! That's why I am a teacher" moments today! About a month ago I began "book clubs" with my students. This is my perspective of a literature circle type program, but students get to choose their partners/groups for reading AND have their choice for which book they are going to read (which has to be within the reading level range for all students within the group). Today one of my lovely students told three of her classmates will be doing a book club this summer with her. They are planning to meet at each others houses and read, ask questions, and enjoy reading together. I can't stop grinning! Inspiring children to LOVE reading, so much that they are going to continue over the summer..... WHOOOHOOO! Happy Day!




1 comment:

  1. LOVE the book club idea! That's so great that they're going to continue it over the summer. Excellent post, Jodi! -Durden

    ReplyDelete